Personal Training

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Practicing what you preach!!

Hmmm...strong words! My mom is a pretty amazing woman. She is a wonderful example of what a good christian woman should be. But even the practically perfect have a few (very tiny) flaws. And when those flaws would show, she would say "do as I say, not as I do." I have to say, the same goes for me this past week. I am big about stretching. I tell my boot campers to STRETCH! Make sure you drink lots of water and stretch throughout the day. Well, as they all know, I have been out of commission this past week! For a whole week!! This does not make for a happy me!

A few Saturdays ago we had our team tryouts for the Affiliate Cup. This consisted of three WOD's in one day! One every two hours! They were a true test of our strength and endurance. I woke up that morning, packed my snacks because I knew it would be a long day, and left the house. I did the first WOD...and did not stretch...did the second WOD...still no stretching...by the third WOD, I was tired and tight...and even though I finished with a really good time, my form was HORRIBLE. So as the day ended, I had to rush off to work...and yet again did not stretch! Sunday rolls around, and I was tired and tight...and, instead of listening to my body, came in and did a WOD...and believe it or not, I am pretty sure I did not stretch that day either. Hmmm...By Monday my hip flexor was not feeling that great, so what did I do...went for a really brutal run. Wait, I am not done...Tuesday morning I was meeting some people at 5am to do some sprint work...and let me tell you, before we even started warming up I was whining about my hip being "tight". So what did I do? I sprinted! Yes, that would not be the smartest thing I have ever done.

Long story short, by Tuesday evening I was limping around the box, and when it came time to do my strength training, well let's just say I could not even pick 95# up an inch off the floor. Pathetic! Not because I was hurt, but because I did not listen to my body and practice what I preach.

So now I have not been able to do anything for almost a week. This goes for lifting heavy, which I love...to demonstrating what a Sumo Deadlift High Pull is to one of my girls with 10# kettle bell. By not doing what I know is right I am now, a week later, still "babying" my hip.

It does not help if you have all this knowledge and do not apply it. What kind of example did I set this week? Not a very good one that is for sure. And as I mope around the box feeling sorry for myself cause all I want to do is "play", who do I have to blame? Just me! So let me say...
Do As I Say, And Not As I Did..this past week. I will be heeding my own advice carefully from here on out.

Make sure you are listening to your bodies! Only you know your limits. Only you know just how far you can push yourself. And only you know when it is time to rest. Listen and take care of yourselves!

And most important...STRETCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment