Personal Training

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Farmers Markets!!!!

Want locally grown veggies that are usually organic? Check out your local farmers markets!! This is a really cheap way to get a TON of veggies! And don't be intimidated by the long stalls, take an hour to explore! You might be surprised at what you find.



Today I stopped by the one that is just down the street from my house. If you are on my side of town it is right off Airline before 610. There are two different aspects to this market. When you first pull up there is the store front Canino's! Which I love and hit today! It is easy, has big fans and I usually find everything I want. Today I got my weeks worth of veggies for 26.56!!! So cheap. Now I am cutting out a lot of the fruit in my diet and that helps keep the cost down. But still if I had bought at Whole Foods that would have been a cool $50-$60 and that would have just been my veggies. I did not find any Kale (boo) and the spinach looked a little wilted so I will probably pick those up when I go get my meat! (that I still get at Whole Foods..yum)
The second part of this farmers market is behind Canino's in the three long lines of stalls. For this you would probably want to bring a canvas bag of some kind and CASH. Brush up on your spanish and get ready to haggle a bit. You can get baskets of veggies for $2!! I can easily walk out of there with all the veggies I need and then some and only have spent $15! Make sure you walk around and look they have a lot more then just produce. They have spices, plants, beans...anyway. Just know most of the farmers don't use pesticides on their produce so they tend to go bad QUICK! So plan accordingly.
Go check it out...


On the menu this week is Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs with Marinara sauce, Citrus Chicken (a whole chicken) and an attempt at Jicama Enchiladas! We will see how that last one goes. In the oven now are the meatballs and spaghetti squash with sliced eggplant that I LOVE roasted!
MEATBALLS:
1 lbs ground beef
1/2 red pepper chopped
1/2 yellow onion chopped
2 mushrooms chopped
1 tbsp of dried parsley, oregano, basil, thyme and garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
mix it all up, spray a glass pan and pop in the oven cook until they are done all the way through..half an hour?
SPAGHETTI SQUASH
puncture the outside with fork all the way around, microwave depending on size about 5-8 min let cool slice open- place cut side down in a baking dish with 1 inch of water and cook until you can puncture the skin easily with a fork. 20 min
season with same spices in the meatballs serve under the meat balls with Marinara of your choice! YUM!!
EASY!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled upon you blog and so glad I did! Thanks for sharing some yummy recipes can't wait to add them to my collection and try them! Your blog keeps me interested to keep visiting. Great work!

    ReplyDelete